Ashleigh Paige

The Eternity Cure

The Eternity Cure - Julie Kagawa See more of my reviews sooner on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley.I couldn't read my copy of The Eternity Cure fast enough despite the fact that I read all but about twenty pages of this hefty book in a single day. It's just one of those books. The pacing issues The Immortal Rules had? Not even a problem here. Kagawa wrote a solid sequel and darn near killed me with that ending--in more ways than one.Allison is still the humane-yet-willing-to-kill vampire she was in book one and she still kicks just as much butt. She has her angsty moments where she feels like she's not good enough for Zeke and those happen about twice as often as I can take, but that's okay. She cuts off a man's arm and I think that's an acceptable apology for all the angst. She just better not carry it into the next book! (The angst, I mean. If she wants to gain another level in badass and carry around a sliced-off vampire arm, she can do that.)As I said, the book keeps you glued to the pages from beginning to end. With Jackal joining the party and Kanin's fate still up in the air until the end, it's tense. Some of the scenes send chills up and down my spine, like what's become of the humans living in the Fringe. We only knew about what the Red Long Virus did to people through secondhand information, but we get to see it up close and personal this time. Ugh. That's a horrible way to die, scratching off your face and all that.I see where a lot of people are going to love Jackal being a smartass throughout the book and half the time, he's got some pretty quotable, funny lines. My issue is that almost every line of his dialogue is some snappy comeback or pointed sarcasm. Everyone loves some of that every now and then, but it's possible to go overboard. Jackal's character fell overboard and got eaten by a shark, it was so bad at times. He's all bark and bite with no real depth as a character. We learn about his past, sure, but he's still rather flat.Something about the ending also troubles me. I can't fully discuss it without giving something MAJOR away, but how did the key character get into such bad condition in the first place when a plot point at the end reveals why they didn't die when they really should have? It just seems odd. I hate how I phrased that, but there's literally no other way I know how to put it.Still, The Eternity Cure is a solid sequel and I'm looking forward to the next book in the Blood of Eden series. I'm just sad it's over a year away!Oh, and fans?Enjoy the cliffhanger.