Ashleigh Paige

Keturah and Lord Death

Keturah And Lord Death - Martine Leavitt I tried to write a longer review for this. I really did. Not reviewing a book like I usually do makes me want to tear my hair out, but I couldn't find much to say this time around. That's part of why I downgraded the rating from four stars to three. Good books that leave me this sort of speechless tend not to be as good as I first thought.Leavitt's storytelling and Keturah's narrative voice are both skillful. Once you're caught in the book's clutches, it's hard to escape and you may not want to. Such writing is what I aspire toward but don't yet have the ability to write. The large cast of characters is memorable and I didn't find myself confusing anyone for another character the way I often do with other books. (My memory is not the best, you see.) Its messages about both the importance of life and our inevitable deaths came across well, and I'm sure this is the kind of book that could make the right person have a new appreciation for life.Just two itty bitty problems:1) Keturah's voice was what kept me going most of the time and when it slowed down, it was hard to get me going again. Even if I read it all in just one day, that's largely because it was short.2) "What good was my life if my heart would not love (Keturah and Lord Death, p. 181)?" Whatever time she grew up in, whatever cultural values they had, I don't care. That quote left me feeling offended.