Ashleigh Paige

The Lost Girl

The Lost Girl - Sangu Mandanna See more of my reviews and other goodies on The YA Kitten!I hate to do this. Spending most of a review comparing one book to another (in this case, What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang) seems unfair and almost everyone loves The Lost Girl for the moment, but the only way I'll be able to explain why I do not care for it is to do so. If the comparisons confuse a few people because neither book is out at the time I write this, sorry about that. It will make sense soon.Both The Lost Girl and What's Left of Me share similar premises. A girl named Eva is forced to live her life according to another girl (one whose name starts with A) lives hers. Eva is something that is not supposed to exist in their world and if discovered, she is likely going to be killed. Still, Eva is fundamentally different from the girl whose life she also lives and she wishes to live her own life and be her own person instead of the prisoner of someone else's life. Questions about what makes a person and the importance of individuality are brought up and those themes are explored, among many other themes. Both also tend to have moments like this: [Group Eva is part of] is evil!" "Why are they evil?" "...They're evil!" (One small difference here is that a parallel can be drawn between the echoes of The Lost Girl and gay people in real life in that religious people declare both groups abominations. It's more difficult to draw that same parallel in What's Left of Me.)That describes both The Lost Girl and What's Left of Me well. It's kind of like that thing with Alexander Graham Bell and Elisha Gray inventing the same device independently. I really, really liked What's Left of Me because of the sisterly bond between that Eva and Addie, how the themes were explored, and the writing. I still minded the terrible explanation of what's so bad about hybrids, but it bothered me less because I felt the other elements were strong enough to make me mind it less. I picked up The Lost Girl mainly due to the similarities between them; as similar as they seemed at first glance, I thought I was going to like The Lost Girl too.I didn't. I gave it 103 pages, as I promised I'd give it at least 100 pages before I make a final decision on it, and quit due to lack of interest.With WLoM, I felt a deeper emotional connection with that Eva due to her literally not being able to live her own life (how could she do that while trapped in Addie's head?) and the complex relationship she had with her sister. TLG wasn't able to make me feel anything and I didn't have any investment in that Eva, her desires to have her own life, how her A (Amarra) feels about having to share everything with her echo whether or not she even want an echo, or anything. There was something off about the book that kept me from getting emotional over it--a detail that is key to the success of a story like this.All my friends that have read it at this time have given it upward of four stars and call it an emotional read. Maybe it gets more emotional and grabbing after the part I quit at, but I simply have no interest in reading on. Different strokes for different folks, right?