Ashleigh Paige

City of Bones: Mortal Instruments, Book 1

City of Bones - Cassandra Clare I read this book a long time ago--a very, very long time ago. Okay, maybe not that long ago, but it feels like it's been so long since I was a fifteen-year-old girl who devoured every book she read without comment or critical thought.My best friend gave me City of Bones on loan, saying it was great and I would like it. To say the least, I didn't. The writing was terrible, Jace was more of a jerk than a heartthrob, and Clary was as bright as a sack of potatoes. Halfway through, I gave up on the book. Considering that I was fifteen and loved every book I read because thinking critically didn't come to me at the time, this is greater insult than if I were to read it today and give up on it.When I gave her the book back, my best friend spoiled the big twist at the end of the book for me. If you've read it or done research on the book, you know what it is. I call bull on it immediately and said the author would retcon the twist--in other words, she would undo it with another twist so Jace and Clary could be together. The funny thing about my prediction? I made it before City of Glass came out and did said retconning. I knew nothing about the book other than what I read and what my friend told me.This is a minor note now, but I feel Clare is a plagiarist based on the evidence I've seen and I don't believe she deserves her success. Alas, not everyone feels the same way about it that I do, so I just live with it. If I didn't, I would have half a high school's worth of students on my ass.