Ashleigh Paige

The Devil's Metal

The Devil's Metal - Karina Halle See more of my reviews sooner on The YA Kitten!I say this so often I'm thinking about adding it to my blog post template: Karina is one of my friends, but this doesn't affect my rating or review.I'm pretty sure at this point that Karina can't go wrong. Some of her books are better than others, but she's awesome both writingwise and personwise. (Augh! Must stop talking about author! Book time!) After dragging my feet on it for months, I finally read my copy of The Devil's Metal and that leaves me wondering why I waited so long. This book is awesome!Dawn and Sage get off to a rough start, but they get closer as the novel goes on and you start to feel like they fit together well. Then some of the teasing scenes come in and not until you're close to the end do you see the grand payoff! Ooooh, that scene. My Spanish professor caught me reading it in class and told me to put it away, but I was tempted to tell her in Spanish I was reading an important scene and was passing the class anyway, so let me read, please and thank you. I'm pretty sure she would have let me had I been able to say all that fluently.The author's experience as a music journalist show through in the vivid scenes where Dawn talks about the bands as they're performing. Writing about music in such a way that you can bring it to life and make people who will never hear it understand it is difficult, but the descriptions do it with ease. Just as easily as she does that, she sends chills down your spine with some of what the characters see. The demonic baby and the mother drooling blood onto it... Ugh. Nightmare fuel!One thing I couldn't help but notice is that most of the women in this novel are either villains or victims, though. Most of the antagonists of women, there are more than a few dead women peppered throughout the novel (some dead long before the book starts, admittedly), and the one female member of the band eventually loses her mind and drops out of the book. To an extent, even Dawn is a victim. Men suffer too, but what happens to the women sticks out more to me.The sequel The Devil's Reprise has no set release date yet, but the last time I saw, she was hoping for a fall release with her new publisher Diversion Books.With that cliffhanger leaving me hanging like that, I'll be eager to see it come out!(I still don't consider this new adult, though. In my head, this falls squarely into adult just like her Experiment in Terror series does. They're both just as chilling and sexy!)