Ashleigh Paige

Everbound: An Everneath Novel

Everbound: An Everneath Novel - See more of my reviews sooner on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I won from Epic Reads.Everbound drop-kicked me in my emotions. For about ten minutes after I finished it, I sat around muttering "Oh my God" to myself because it shocked me that much. Well, that and "I'm going to murder Cole." The novella Neverfall left me with worries for the series, but the second book in Ashton's fantastic series shook them all off.Nikki's unstoppable determination to save Jack from the Tunnels leads us into an action-packed book that introduces us to the Everneath outside the Feed caverns. It gets a little infodumpy at times as Cole and Max tell Nikki about the layout of the Everneath (rather like Dante's Inferno) and the Walls of Water/Wind/Fire that keep people away from the center of their world, but it just barely manages to work because it makes sense for Nikki to know so little. The characters' development never suffers from the action and a few characters are developed further than I ever thought they would be.The only reason a star has been subtracted is the writing. For the most part, it's readable and just right for the story, but it has its weaker moments. Like the word "whisper-yell" being used. I really do get that it's trying to get across that someone is whispering loudly, but "whisper-yell" is a bad way to describe it. There's also a section where Nikki helps Cole when he gets hurt and she directly tells the reader it's because she considers him her friend now, not because she needs him to help her find Jack. That's something we could have figured out ourselves.The ending. Oh wow, that ending. Even though I finished the book last night, there are still times I pause what I'm doing (including writing this review; by my count, I've done it five times while trying to get this written) just to try and process what happened. You won't be squeezing those secrets out of me, but it's... I can't even. I thought I knew Cole after being inside his head in Neverfall, but he turns out to surprise us. Never saw it coming, and it's one of the best endings I've come across in recent memory.It's going to be a long wait for the third and final book in this series, which will come out in early 2014. Until then, I'll just plot dastardly ways to kill Cole or make him suffer.