Ashleigh Paige

Silence

Silence - Michelle Sagara, Michelle Sagara West It's not that this book is bad. It's that there is something about the way Sagara writes that I am incompatible with as a reader. I concede that her characterization, from what I saw in Silence, is top-notch and she had a great idea going. Even now, I'm considering picking the book back up just so I can find out more about the world and the Necromancers. Sagara succeeds in most of the areas that make up a great YA novel.So why did I put it down? Like I said, it's something to do with her style. I tried to read the first Chronicles of Elantra book some time ago, but I ended up leaving that unfinished because I didn't like the style. I'm all for second chances and this sounded like a great idea, so I went for Silence. It's not that her prose is awful because it's not. There's just something about it that kept me too distanced from the story and kept me from enjoying all the pieces of the story that do so well. A personal incompatibility with an author's natural style isn't a problem anyone can help or that the author can fix. Taste is taste.I'd like others to still give this book a try, but I wanted to explain to others and to myself why I could only read about half the novel.