Ashleigh Paige

The Beautiful and the Cursed

The Beautiful and the Cursed - See more of my reviews on Birth of a New Witch! My copy was an ARC I received via Amazon Vine.DNF at page 177/51%. When I began this book, I expected to love it. As I learned a little more about the gargoyles and saw they were cursed to be what they were because they killed a man of the cloth as humans, my interest piqued. Bring on the great mythology, Morgan! That she did.She also brought in the first use of the word "coalesce" to describe the gargoyles' transformation from their human forms to their more grotesque selves. That's when it all started going downhill."Coalesce" means to unite, fuse, to become one, etc. The gargoyles are shifting from their human form to their gargoyle form when they're described as coalescing. That's the wrong word for the situation and every time I came across it, it drove me a little further up the wall. Beyond that, the novel is dull for the most part. There's action and death and killing, but the prose is so bland that none of those scenes had any effect on me. For as much as I read, there were things we found out from Luc's POV early on but we were told about again from Ingrid and Gabby's POVs later. Cutting out such sections from his POV to reduce that echo effect (and one or two from Grayson's in order to preserve the mystery) would have been best. The romantic developments were dull, I was bored, and so on and so forth.My Google Calendar app is full of books i have for review and looking at it reminds me that I don't have time for this book and its inability to tickle my fancy. Sad but true.Random aside, but I wish the title had remained Grotesque. I'm fairly certain The Beautiful and the Cursed as a title refers to Ingrid (beautiful) and Luc (cursed) and why give it a ridiculous, schmoopy title when one could call it Grotesque? The word may mean ugly, but I think it's a beautiful word. I love the way it looks and rolls off the tongue!