Ashleigh Paige

Dearly, Beloved

Dearly, Beloved - I tried. For a week and a half, I tried to read this book, but I couldn't get into it no matter what I did. I've had nothing but free time to read it, but every time I sit down to read it, I wanted to stop after a chapter or two and not go back to it. Forcing myself to read a book like this isn't right, so I'm calling it quits.Dearly, Departed was divided into five points of view, but Dearly, Beloved is divided into six: Nora, Bram, Pamela, Michael, Vespertine, and a new zombie named Laura. Laura uses her body like a potted plant and grows flowers out of various parts of her body, such as her shoulders and waist. To me, all of these points of views read the same and I forgot whose point of view I was reading in mid-chapter more often than not.The human-zombie tension didn't convince me the way I wanted it to. The looming threat of the Murder and their attacks on zombies, along with the zombies' attempts to fight back and recapture the carrier of the new Laz strain? Not all that compelling to me. None of the characters were too interesting either, so I don't really have anything to keep reading for. I know the problem isn't that I can't pay attention to the novel; it's that the novel can't hold my attention. Just today, I read two-hundred pages of another novel with none of the concentration issues I've had with Dearly, Beloved. I'm going to clutch my copy of Dearly, Departed close to me just because of Pamela and her badassery in that book, but I have no interest in continuing on with this second novel. Not even for Pam. : (I received my copy from the publisher through NetGalley.