Ashleigh Paige

The Alchemy of Forever: An Incarnation Novel

The Alchemy of Forever: An Incarnation Novel - Avery Williams Also appears on The Screaming Nitpicker.Look at me go, everyone! Two reviews in one day. I'm on fire!I'll try to keep this review as short as the book.The Alchemy of Forever isn't exactly the most original book on the block. It may seem like it if you aren't into anime like I have been for most of my life (yeah, I was one of the little kids obsessed with Sailor Moon and Dragonball Z--there were a lot of us back then), you may not have heard of a show called Fullmetal Alchemist. The idea of two lovers using alchemy to switch bodies for centuries so they'll never die, then one of the lovers leaving when they get sick of it, may sound familiar if you've seen enough of FMA and gotten to a certain point. That was something in the show I wanted to see a little more of and in a way, that is what brought me to read The Alchemy of Forever.Disregarding that point, the book is a quick read and difficult to let go of. I sat down at four in the afternoon and despite various interruptions, I was finished with it by eight-thirty. Seraphina's story is well-paced and interesting, but it's not overly involving. Its subject matter and occasionally suicidal heroine don't seem like they would make for a very fluffy book, but something about the novel feels so fluffy. Insubstantial, maybe. Yeah, I think that's the word I'm going for. Some inconsistency issues--one minute, Seraphina is a genuinely horrible liar; the next, she's such a good liar that she fools a man who has known her for six hundred years--knew her so well, in fact, that he could predict her dreams--and "misses nothing"-- were the largest problems that stuck out content-wise. A cliffhanger I saw coming from a few miles away closes the book and sets up the next novel, but what I read makes me unsure I should invest in this series. The Alchemy of Forever isn't a bad book at all. It simply could be better than it is right now.