Ashleigh Paige

Ten

Ten - Also appears on my blog, The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I received via a swap with a friend.2.5 stars.I've been waiting to read Ten for over a year--I'm pretty sure I found out about it just after I finished the author's first book Possess--and now that I've actually read it, I'm disappointed. Other readers have had problems with this book because they were familiar with Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, which this book is a retelling of, and didn't feel Ten was a strong enough retelling. I have not read the original work, but I still have a lot of problems with this novel.Ten has a grabbing plot and relentless pacing going for it. I read large portions and quick bursts, and putting the novel down to carry on with life didn't make me very happy. Fans of horror/suspense movies are doubtlessly going to enjoy this and all the campy thrills it offers. I wish I could say it has more going for it, but that's all I was able to enjoy.Now then, as I said before, I've never read And Then There Were None, though I made myself familiar with it in preparation for reading this novel (and I did that by looking it up on Wikipedia, admittedly). One problem that struck me more than halfway through the novel is that ATTWN's Wikipedia summary gave me a better sense of characterization and depth in the novel than Ten was able to when read in its entirety. This novel's characters are very flat and when some of them start dying off, there's no reason to feel anything about it because we don't know anything about them. They're blank people being sent to the slaughterhouses for our entertainment, not actual characters.Campy things are all fine with me, but I only like certain types and Ten wasn't that type of camp. It doesn't help horror movies aren't my thing either, and this is like the novelization of a horror movie. The violence is fairly tame and the writing's immature feel at times fails to build the right atmosphere. Moments where readers would be told something about a character and then shown the exact same thing threw me off too. Extraneous words, they are. I don't like extraneous words.Fans of Christie's novel will want to tread carefully with Ten, since just being familiar with it without ever reading it helped me see quite a few things coming. I still want to read more from McNeil and hope to see the sequel for Possess be scheduled for release (meanwhile, McNeil's next novel 3:59 is pitched as a sci-fi/horror mix with a doppleganger twist; I'll read that), but her second novel was just a little worse than her first.