Ashleigh Paige

Death and the Girl Next Door

Death and the Girl Next Door - Darynda Jones "Death and the Girl Next Door [is] a thrilling Young Adult novel garnering high praise and early buzz from major authors."Er, did I receive a different book for review? I see nothing redeemable about this book after reading forty percent of the novel (aka 115 pages).What is there to praise? The characters are not well-drawn. They're all trying to be funny, but they're quite immature. Their jokes about stalkers and how it's okay for Jared to stalk her (he's hot, after all) are the antithesis of funny, and the mean girls as they are used here are just dumb. Tabitha Sind is here solely to be the mean girl and I rolled my eyes every time she came into the picture and Lorelei called her/her friends sugar frosted flakes, sugar lumps, etc. Lorelei has no brain. Really, if your grandmother knows what is smart to wear on a certain day, are you going to dismiss the idea that she watches the weather and decide she must have "an eerie, sixth-sense kind of way" of knowing? She also trusts Jared even though she only just met him. That gets her run over by a truck. And that happens after he says weird, vaguely threatening things to her, not before.Beyond all that, there's something I can't put my finger on that keeps me from getting invested in this book. Perhaps it's the writing style. Perhaps it is a combination of that and everything else wrong with this book.Nevertheless, Death and the Girl Next Door is a DNF at 40%. I've gone ahead and looked for spoilers and I can see from them that I am not missing anything.