Ashleigh Paige

Audrey, Wait!

Audrey, Wait! - Robin Benway Audrey, Wait! is fluffy, fun, and very funny at times, but in general, it's all over the place. Audrey tells us at the very beginning we should blame her for the end of her relationship with Evan but she never shows us we should blame HER and not Evan, who is more often shown to be a terrible boyfriend to her than she's shown to be an awful girlfriend to him. Seriously, he lost me the minute he ignored Audrey when she said her cat was on fire.Audrey is just as inconsistent. One moment, she'll sound like a real teen and the next, her voice feels forced. She explicitly says she isn't mean, but she spends the entire book needlessly sniping at a girl named Sharon Eggleston. Speaking of whom, her character was completely unnecessary. fell in love with this author due to her commentary on the Wendy Davis filibuster and the other feminist stuff that occasionally pops up, so it's especially disappointing to see such rancid girl hate permeate this novel.But when one is looking for a story about the love of music and what happens when you become the unwilling star of a hit song, this is a good bet if they can ignore all the flaws and the way it rotates between funny and unfunny.Also, fun fact: I'm Evan's new girlfriend. Well, not really. There's an Ashleigh in the book (or is it Kayleigh? She's called by both names, but Ashleigh gets more use) and she was one of the few girls Audrey DIDN'T hate on. More Ashleighs in YA, I say!