Ashleigh Paige

Famous Last Words

Famous Last Words - Jennifer Salvato Doktorski See more of my reviews on Birth of a New Witch! My copy was an ARC I got from a friend.2.5 stars.English is my thing, but journalism/media is my other thing. I spent three years in journalism classes in high school, two of them on the school newspaper and one of them as senior editor. Media itself is my fandom and my terrible people skills are the main reason journalism isn't my focus in life. Doktorski nails the feel of working as a newsman/newswoman, but her main character nearly kills the book and definitely makes it a drag to read.Whether you're writing for a school paper or a real live community paper, there's the looming threat of deadlines, the desperation to make sure your facts are right so you don't get chewed out by a higher-up who found blatant errors in your article(s) (you would not believe the way I had to chew out one person whose articles were impossible to read and riddled with errors), and the sense of community that develops from spending so much time under crunch time together. I hardly miss the part of newspapering where we had to beg for ads, but Doktorski really taps into everything I loved about the experience in general.Not only is Doktorski a skilled writer (errant whisper-scream or two and female characterization issues aside), but the plot she weaves in slowly is fun too. The mayor possibly indulging in identity theft or saying one of his friends is employed by him so they can earn money for doing absolutely nothing? Beautiful! This doesn't get much focus until the latter half of the novel, but even this intriguing story and the work they put into it reminds me of good times doing the same stuff in pursuit of stories. It specifically brings to mind a scandal in which a few football players at my high school faked their addresses to play ball with us and eventually got found out. THAT was a fun one to keep track of, let me tell you.So what holds this book back from being a perfect, fluffy indulgence in my media geekery and love of journalism? Its own main character, Samantha D'Angelo. She fails to kill her own book, but she wounds it heavily enough that it needs a long hospital stay to recouperate.Maybe we're supposed to look at Sam's terrible treatment of her party-loving BFF, how she judges Shelby for flirting with guys but won't hold herself to the same standards because reasons, and her odd hatred of her female "competition" and still hope she gets everything she's working hard for. It's clear she really does have talent and earns what she gets, but when she's such a thoroughly terrible person, it's difficult to want her to keep her job, get the big story, or get the guy whose romance with her isn't even all that well-developed. She has her nice moments, but overall, she's a shallow-minded, badly developed character.For instance, any girl related to a guy she's into one way or another is demonized whether or not she ever speaks to them--and in the case of one girl related to her love interest, they literally never say a word to one another and yet Sam hates her. One could call that realistic because internalized misogyny is very real, but that doesn't mean it needs to be here. Why not leave it out to set an example of how we don't have to hate other women over such asinine stuff or take a little time to make Sam think about why she feels that way?And Shelby. Oh, Shelby. I have an irrational hatred of characters with that name and yet I side with her over Sam every single time. She's clumsily written in the first place, but Sam's over-the-top treatment of her as a burden to be hoisted off onto someone else is grating. Sam honestly tries to force/trick Shelby into getting a job so Shelby won't annoy her at work anymore and she can use Shelby as an "inside man" on a story Sam wants to cover--and she never plans to inform Shelby of any of this.(Also, I find it really odd Penn State comes up as a school Sam might want to go to and its major, nation-rocking scandal doesn't come up. That's just me.)Internalized misogyny and main characters who nearly kill their own books may be an issue of the author's and not just her books; according to friends' reviews, the same happens in Doktorski's other novel How My Summer Went Up in Flames. I'd love to read more of her work because her writing is stellar when people aren't whisper-screaming, but I'm not exactly going to run to grab a book I know is going to include elements I hate because the author has a history of it and reviews make it clear it's happening.