Ashleigh Paige

Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)

Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains) - Laurie Boyle Crompton See more of my reviews sooner on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I received in a swap with a friend.Sure, the title and jacket copy imply that this book is a major geekout, but I wasn't expecting it to be this much of a geekout. I liked it! I may not know much about comic books other than what little X-Men: Evolution taught me and the humongous (but outdated) X-Men guide my brother owns, but Crompton makes it possible for even total noobs to comics to get caught up in Blaze's obsession and get excited right alongside her. Other than a few issues, this is a solidly enjoyable novel.From the very start, Blaze's engaging voice hooks you and makes you what to know where her personal story is going to take us. It can be difficult to capture an accurate teenage voice, but Crompton manages it like it's as easy as breathing. Even better, it sweeps you up in Blaze's life and emotions until you're experiencing them alongside her. Despite knowing nothing of comics, I got just as into an argument about them as she did with a boy working in her preferred comics store. When Mark does the worst and sends out a sext her best friend originally sent without Blaze's permission, I wanted to hug her.This is also partially an issue novel that takes on slut-shaming. Blaze and her friends indulging in that horrid practice as much as they did got on my nerves and I was happy when "school slut" Catherine Wiggan (who reminds me more of myself than I care to disclose) set her straight. The problem is that Blaze seems to only learn not to slut-shame Catherine instead of learning not to slut-shame period. Blaze's thoughts during that scene imply that now that she knows Catherine is actually a virgin, she won't do it anymore. What about girls that do actually have sex? They don't deserve to be bullied over that either, but I get the feeling Blaze would do that. There is not slut-shaming for the remainder of the novel after that point, so it's never put to the test.With such a well-developed teenage voice, I look forward to reading more of Crompton's books in the future.