Ashleigh Paige

Auracle

Auracle - Gina Rosati See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I received in a swap with a friend.I'm in such a reading slump! I had one awesome book and one good novella in the last week, and every other book I've read since then has been either mediocre or bad. I don't like the way it makes me look like I hate everything because I don't. I'm just in the company of some unimpressive books that clash with my feminist ideals or are lacking in quality. I wanted Auracle to break me out of that slump, but... Well, this is probably the worst of the books I've read since my slump began. Almost all of it is because of the portrayal of the antagonist, a young woman named Taylor.I wanted to enjoy this so badly, but it's a little hard to find nice things to say. I love the love interest being half-Japanese (yay for diversity in YA romances!) and Rei's little sister being named Saya automatically won her awesome points because she shares a name with one of my favorite heroines ever. Anna's voice reads well and is likable, though Anna herself is not because of the way she treats/describes Taylor, and the novel is well-paced. If Auracle weren't causing my blood pressure to skyrocket every few pages, finishing this today would be easy.Taylor's portrayal. There are so many problematic elements to it that it pains me just to talk about it. When Taylor was fifteen, she was having sex with a twenty-one-year-old man, lying to him about her age and swearing she was on birth control pills. When she got pregnant, she told her parents she was raped, the man was charged/possibly convicted of statutory rape, and he must now register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. Right after that, she moved to Anna's town.In an act of implicit slut shaming, Anna puts the reader's focus on how short all of Taylor's skirts are and how low-cut her shirts are by describing them all the time. She even mentions when Taylor wears a skirt so short that her underwear is visible when she sits down. Taylor develops a crush on Anna's friend Seth, who calls her a stalker in front of the class when she tries to talk to him. After she insinuates he must be gay to not like her, Seth responds with, "You think because I'm not interested in a slut like you I must be gay... why doesn't that surprise me? (ARC p.54). After she dies and takes over Anna's body and decides she's going to frame Seth for murder when her death was nothing but an accident.Seriously? This is offensive no matter what way you look at it. The way she's characterized, the way she is dressed, her actions--all of it is deeply problematic in the way it oversimplifies why people do such things and makes a caricature out of it all. Letting revealing clothes be labeled bad by association (or is revealing clothes just a way to characterize how eeeeeeeevul she is? I'm not sure) doesn't fly with me either.Maybe Taylor is given depth later in the novel and some light is shed on why she has behaved the way she has. I flipped ahead a little and she brings up her not-so-great relationship with her parents and they way they pushed her to do certain things whether or not they wanted to do them. In my eyes, this bit of depth I stumbled across is nowhere near enough to make up for everything done to Taylor. I lack the ability to care about any resolution on this front and the time to keep wading through the book to find the good stuff. I've read over half the book and if all the good stuff is in the second half, that's still the book's problem, not mind.I don't have time for this. Look at all these books stacked up waiting for me. Just look!I move in a few weeks, so I'm packing up everything, and I want to get at least a few more of these read before I move. I do not have time for offensive books like Auracle.And this is why Auracle is a DNF.