Ashleigh Paige

Twenty Boy Summer

Twenty Boy Summer - Sarah Ockler See more of my reviews sooner on The YA Kitten!I will admit right now I bought this solely because of the title. It implied harem romance to me and I LOVE harem romance like you don't even know. I was fully aware there wasn't going to be any, but did I care? No!Maybe I should have.I get what Ockler is trying to do. I really do. Sometimes, she actually accomplishes her goals, like when her prose puts the finger right on the pulse of how it feels to grieve for someone you loved. Her story had so much potential, but these characters and the overall execution of the novel were too over-the-top for me to have the patience to deal with.All Anna does is let Frankie push her and push her and push her. As far in as I read (over half the book), she never objects to Frankie's obsession with getting a guy to pop Anna's cherry. Um, that's none of her business. My best friends will never treat me like Frankie treats Anna and I'll never treat them like that either. My virginity/sex life matters to one person: me. Other people who try to make it their business can back off. If only Anna had done something like that instead of falling for Sam in about two seconds. Can't we at least have good development of her moving on from Matt?Once again, I get what Ockler is going for with Frankie's character. A girl who tries to cope with her brother's death by becoming boy obsessed and acting like a "normal" teenage girl? Yeah, sure. Once again, she's too over-the-top for it to work. There's too much of her obsession with sex and boys and not enough of a look at the girl behind the mask and what THAT girl is feeling.Maybe Anna finally pushes back at Frankie and tells her to stop pushing her to lose her virginity because it's HER choice when to pop her cherry, not her best friend's. Maybe Frankie gets believable character development. The issue here is that Ockler's story leaves me with such strong irritation that I can't stomach the idea of reading until the end to find out if that happens.