Ashleigh Paige

The Woken Gods

The Woken Gods - Gwenda Bond DNFed around 40% in. The mythology elements were used well and the novel is quickly paced in general, but by some devilry, Kira's narrative voice sucks all the fun out of it. She somehow makes finding out how the gods awakened, came back into power, and are now kept tenuously under control because the Society (basically all the normal human people) have the ability to kill gods a bore. How does one manage to so thoroughly kill what should be great worldbuilding?The Woken Gods also stomped on two of my worst pet peeves.Pet Peeve #1: Third-person present narration. I hate hate hate third-person present-tense. I will read just about any other type of narration with no problems, but I take a book off my TBR if I find out a significant part of it or all of it is written in third-person present like The Woken Gods is. It switches back and forth between first-person present and third-person present too. Ugh.Pet Peeve #2: Asking the right questions and not being given any answers. Kira, unlike some YA heroines I've come across, manages to ask the right questions at the right times, like why her dad stole the magical artifact and went to look for shelter from the Society. His answer comes off as little more than rambling bullshit. She's been forced into handling a task more suited for an adult because her father made stupid decisions and everyone's decided she should clean up his mess. The least people can do is tell her what she needs to know and not treat her like an infant--and not frustrate readers in the meantime by artificially delaying answers we want. AG AG AG.My copy was an ARC I received from the publisher via NetGalley.