Ashleigh Paige

Uh-Oh

So I started a book and there are a lot of uncomfortable parallels between race and hair color. Every time the mayor brought up the glory of redheads in the first chapter, I saw "white" alongside "redhead" because no one has been specified to be anything other than white. People who aren't white can have red hair too! Like Princess Lalla Salma of Morocco. Definitely not white, definitely red-haired.

Anyway, this makes it rather uncomfortable to see him say redheads make up the entire cheerleading team because seventy-five percent of the student body is redheaded/white, so of course it's fine all the members are redheaded/white. Because statistics! That sounds familiar. In a bad way.

What else does it remind me of? A group that prized blond hair and blue eyes in its citizens.

I'm sticking around for the whole book just so I can see if all this is questioned. There's also the stealth horror in that for the mother to keep her daughter's real hair color a secret, she's been coloring her child's hair red since the girl was an infant or a toddler. That is REALLY fucked up. There's a lot of room to challenge pageant culture and how mothers who are too into it can screw up their daughters for life. If it doesn't go for it, I'm going to be seriously disappointed.

ETA: It's satire? Okay! Gah, dealing with satire sucks. Unless I've been told beforehand it is, it takes me a while to pick up on that fact. It's amazing how many just-as-unfunny things I've read that weren't satire and make it hard to find what IS satire.