Ashleigh Paige

Mind Games

Mind Games - See more of my reviews sooner on The YA Kitten! I received my copy via Amazon Vine.2.5 stars.Kiersten White wrote the first draft of Mind Games in nine days and at times, it shows. In real time, the events of this 256-page novel happen in two days with half the events taking place in flashbacks and it's a fast book to read. Still, it surprised me by being much better than expected. A little undeveloped and in need of more time in the editing oven, but it's an otherwise pleasant surprise from a novel I expected the worst from.Some readers can't stand it when a book is divided half into flashbacks and half into what is going on in the present, but I quite like it. What I dislike is that White ends all the present-time chapters with cliffhangers that make me want to skip the flashbacks altogether! White did a fine enough job giving Annie and Fia their own voices and avoiding one of the biggest pitfalls for a dual POV novel; I never needed to check the beginning of the chapter to figure out who was speaking.The consistency of its elements is where things start going downhill. Sometimes, the way Fia speaks in run-ons and repetition thoroughly gets across that what she has been through has reduced her to the emotional maturity of a ten-year-old girl. That's how she reads most of the time. (Also, small niggle, but it bothers me that she hates the number three and yet does almost everything in threes.) Other times, it's just annoying. Sometimes, the love the sisters have for one another is palpable and their complex relationship feels real. Other times? Nope. Fia's got a reason for her sections being badly written, but Annie sure doesn't.Just about every element of the novel, from the romance-ish thing Fia has going on with James to other characters' personalities and motivations (especially James), suffers from this issue--which is exactly what I feared might happen when I heard how long it took to write the first draft. The book was both written--and read thanks to its pacing--so quickly that deeper development isn't there.There are still too many questions the novels leaves unanswered, though the sequel will surely answer them. What does Keane want? He's collecting young girls (because only girls have them for whatever reason) with psychic powers to give out as gifts to politicians, yeah. Still, what is his ultimate goal? Hopefully, the sequel I'll probably stick around for will offer much deeper development than Mind Games.