Ashleigh Paige

Steampunk

Steampunk - Even though I'm marking this book as finished, I really haven't finished it. I plan to one day, but I'm bored out of my mind while reading it and I've already moved on to another book that I've gotten halfway through in two days (compared to Steampunk, which took me over a week to get halfway through). I will probably pick this up again one day and try to finish it, but I don't want to do this now.Why don't I want to finish it? It's pretty simple: the writing style. The stories themselves are at the same level of quality. What makes me like some (Molly Brown's "The Selene Gardening Society," Mary Gentle's "A Sun in the Attic") and hate others (Ted Chiang's "Seventy-Two Letters," Ian R. MacLeod's "The Giving Mouth") is how the are written. I've observed that a stuffy writing style that would fit in with Victorian literature is the style used in most of these stories. It's all very proper and prim and to be honest, unreadable to me. I need life, even the tiniest amount, in my narration to get me interested and keep me reading. The narration in all but two of these stories lack the life I need. Even if I did finish the book, I wouldn't have enough to say about it, so this anthology will get neither a DNF write-up nor a proper review.I also have its sequel anthology Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded in my possession, but I don't plan on reading that book. I'll donate both of these books to a used bookstore or library or something. On the bright side, I have learned that steampunk is not the genre for me. I guess it takes a sci-fi fan to really enjoy this genre because now that I think about it, all ofthe steampunk fans I've met were also huge sci-fi fans. The technology in the stories is definitely sci-fi in a different sense. Me? I don't like sci-fi in most cases, so steampunk probbaly won't appeal to me no matter what.