Ashleigh Paige

Let the Sky Fall

Let the Sky Fall - Shannon Messenger DNF, baby. Made it to about page 256 before I got fed up with this book, at which point I skipped to the last twenty pages.I'm rather baffled that this novel has so few negative reviews because it's bad. Wow. I don't begrudge the people who loved it because what they like is what they like, but surely I'm not the only one who disliked this, right? Books like this are why my "troll-book" shelf exists: it's so bad it must be a joke.Vane is both a douchebag and the King of Tropes. He's the Chosen One, the Last of His Kind, the Future King, etc. etc. His comments about wanting to change the Gale Force uniforms so Audra wears something even tinier skeeve me out. It's possible to write an authentic male voice without creepy comments like that. Seriously. It's not the only one either!Audra is a little better in that she has some depth and a genuine conflict, but thinking of her makes me more than a little annoyed too because she's a vehicle through which the worldbuilding is dumped on us.Speaking of which, the worldbuilding could have been more easily and subtly built through Audra's POV segments, but Vane's got to learn about his world too. I get that. Doesn't excuse the massive infodumps used to teach him about it. I swear, there are at least two chapters in a row that are nothing but infodumps Audra does before training with Vane. Blah blah blah.Then there's this little plot hole the size of Jupiter. Audra herself says that because Vane put just enough water to wet her tongue into her body, she'll be weakened for months and not be able to use the winds as well. It's even shown that she can't fly to the mountains like she could before because of it. However, Vane has been eating and drinking normal human quantities for years and he by and large seems to have no problems learning the languages of the winds.Excuse me? No. He should be as grounded as a groundling (as humans are called in this novel) with how long he's been eating and drinking like a human and struggling every step of the way--if he gets access to his powers at all. Nope. Barely any problems. BullSHIT.Everything else is too dull to give a shit about. The characters have insta-love and never develop a deeper relationship I can believe in, the pacing is slow, I wanted to throw this out my window, etc. Books like these make me want little buttons I can post instead of typing out the same words over and over again.Messenger's MG novel Keeper of the Lost Cities is apparently pretty bad too, so maybe it's the writer. Either way, I hated this novel. My mom's best friend called dibs on it and I will do all I can to keep her away from it. She teases me enough! As if I need to give her a reason to be even more evil.