Ashleigh Paige

On Demon Wings: Experiment in Terror #5

On Demon Wings: Experiment in Terror #5 - See more of my reviews sooner on The YA Kitten! My copy was provided by the author.4.5 stars.Same song and dance as usual: the author is my friend and this does not affect my review/rating.Why couldn't this have been my first read of 2013 instead of the thoroughly disappointing novel I read before it? After a mixed experience with Lying Season, I didn't expect much from On Demon Wings, but this is without a doubt the best of the series so far. Why did I wait so long to get back to this series in the first place?Perry is a pretty solid wreck after what happened at the end of the last book. She's up and moving, which is better than some heroines do after a break-up with their primary love interest, but she's still hurting. And then with what happens shortly after the story begins... Wow. No wonder the demon was able to take advantage of her weakness and crawl in. A miscarriage--especially of a pregnancy you didn't even know about--can be a devastating event. Perry is incredibly sympathetic in this installment, even more so than in any of the previous books in the series.From start to finish, something is always happening and well-written scares are everywhere, whether it involves vomiting up wasps or having spiders come out of a bathtub and swarm all over Perry (AUGH, MY ARACHNOPHOBIA; THANKS, KARINA). Some of this stuff is going to be nightmare fuel for me and I don't even scare that easily!Then there's Maximus, who's back in the picture. I'm not sure what's up with him. My gut says hate him because he does some awful stuff throughout the novel, but my brain says be patient because there's got to be a reason behind him acting like a douchebag and making Perry's parents think she's crazy. Maybe he's already experienced what happens when you try to tell certain kinds of people paranormal stuff exists? We'll see, hopefully.The only problem I have with this installment are some grammar/editing issues. Misuse of semicolons, Perry once saying she wasn't dating Mom thanks to some missing punctuation, and other such things. They were more numerous than I remember in previous installments. The story this time around was so intense that the errors were more distracting when they threw me out of the story.After a quick break to read Old Blood, the novella starring Pippa (aka Creepy Clown Lady), I plan to move on to Into the Hollow. Thank goodness for gift cards at Christmas!