Ashleigh Paige

Terrorscape (Horrorscape, #3) - Nenia Campbell Okay, disclosure time: the author is one of my good friends, but this does not affect my review. It does explain why I sweet-talk her a little toward the end, though.Fact: if you buy a stuffed animal and name it Valerian Kimble, the deadliest animal within 100 miles of you will emerge from its habitat, find your stuffed Valerian, and tear it apart with glee. Book Valerian is so thoroughly tortured and hurt throughout these three books and gets so few breaks that it results in magic coming out of the book and making this happen.(I don't recommend trying this out like you tried out the Bloody Mary thing when you were little. You never know what the animal will be and if it will leave you alone if you happen to come upon it tearing apart your stuffed Valerian.)Stalkers, sociopaths, and twisted games, oh my! This series was like something out of my dreams/nightmares from the beginning and from Fearscape to Horrorscape to Terrorscape, it's only gotten more screwed up with each book. Val is even more broken than she was before, Gavin's determination hits frightening levels--and by that, he becomes a legit news-making serial killer--and a new gamemaster wants to play. Poor Val never had a chance at running away and starting a new life elsewhere.While discussing Oliver Twist in one of my lit classes this morning and why we keep reading it, I put forth that I liked to keep reading it because of Oliver's suffering and my hope he'd be okay eventually. Then I used this series as another example. Valerian is stalked, terrorized, raped, tortured every which way, and it's almost over-the-top, but I kept reading because no matter how old I get, I'll always be a naive little girl. I like my happy endings--or rather, I like holding onto the hope that a suffering character will make it through their darkest night to the morning. I will read about all the suffering one can throw at a character so I can hope they make it out okay-ish.Does Valerian do it? Well, one can't say whether she's seen the light of morning or her darkest night will never end. I do, however, have my own opinion of where it goes from here. I think you can guess. ;)So good GREAT job, Nenia. Also, DAMN YOU. But I love you too.