Ashleigh Paige

Still Star-Crossed - Melinda Taub I read the first seventy pages and stopped there. It was a little like trying to get me herbal tea when I, being a true Southern woman, only drink sweet tea. I see where so many other people are going to love this, but if it's not to my taste and I have no desire to read it, that's how it is.It's clear from the first page Taub dearly loves Shakespeare's works. She combines more modern prose with (semi-simplified) Shakespearean dialogue in her epilogue of sorts to Romeo & Juliet and produces a pretty well-written story. We barely know Benvolio and know even less about Rosaline in the play, but she creates believable characters out of them based on what little we do know. Rosaline's stubborn personality and somewhat modern mindset make me want to cuddle her to my bosom.From what I read, it looks like it's in the style of Shakespeare's plays too with entanglements and shenanigans like a love triangle between Prince Escalus, Rosaline, and Benvolio. I'm no fan of love triangles, but when it's Shakespeare and someone who's writing in the spirit of his plays, it's okay.If you ever doubt Taub knows what she's doing, that doubt evaporates upon reading her author's note. She's quick to make note of the crossovers she makes to Shakespeare's other plays, why she made certain decisions, liberties she's taken, etc.Kinda weird to see me writing a DNF review for something and give it only praises, right? Like I said, it's herbal tea and I only want sweet tea. I'll send it on to my coblogger, who happens to love herbal tea if I remember correctly. ;)