Ashleigh Paige

Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins Also appears on my blog, The YA Kitten!With my summer almost over, I wanted to indulge in something fluffy--you know, the kind of fluffy fun summer reading is made of. With rave reviews all around praising its swoony male lead and cute romance, Anna and the French Kiss seemed like a good bet.It wasn't.Perkins undeniably has talent as a writer. Anna's narrative voice is engaging and some of the scenes are so adorable that I smiled a little bit despite my annoyance. It was only when I remembered who was having the cute scene (usually Anna and St. Clair) and what kind of people they were (really terrible people) that I stopped smiling. That the author's talent is wasted telling the story of despicable characters like Anna and St. Clair is a shame because with more likable characters, I could see myself loving this book the way everyone else does.See, Anna makes me want to scream because she hates all other women who are her "competition" in any way, shape, or form for a guy she likes. Amanda, Bridgette, Ellie, eventually Meredith--all of them. She describes them badly (which isn't help by the narrative portraying them badly and I have a boatload of issues with that) and is generally a hypocrite. I'm not into abundant girl-hate in novels and that's exactly what Anna and the French Kiss has to offer. Her melodrama about non-problems like going to a beautiful boarding school in France didn't endear her to me either.Meanwhile, St. Clair is an asshole. No other way to say it. He spends the entire book leading Anna on when he already has a girlfriend while also discouraging any guys who show interest in Anna and that is the sign of a guy who isn't worth any girl's time. He doesn't like change? Too bad. How much I care is less than or equal to zero. I feel he would have done something about it much earlier than he did if she really mattered to him. Seeing him be praised as THE BEST GUY EVER makes me want to find a trash can.I estimate that I began skimming somewhere around page 100 and didn't stop until the book ended. Everyone good pronouncing Anna and St. Clair to be the best people ever when they're not was too annoying to sit through for long. I wanted them to be together solely so no one else had to deal with being in a relationship with them. If they can tolerate each other's crap, why not let them? It saves other people the pain of having to deal with it.This book is very, very lucky I'm gifting it two stars and not just throwing one badly-constructed star at it. The cheesy, soapbox-like way homosexuality is declared okay and slut shaming is declared wrong (but only when it's Anna being called a slut; all the other girls are fair game and this hypocritical position is yet another reason why I hate this book) made me want to give the book only one star, but with writing this great, I couldn't. Anna and the French Kiss should consider itself lucky.Recommendations of well-written, non-offensive fluff, please? I'm a little tired of being negative.