Ashleigh Paige

Horrorscape (Horrorscape, #2) - Nenia Campbell Another little disclaimer: the author is my friend, but that affects neither my review nor my rating.Ah, a good old-fashioned booby-trapped house kind of horror novel. Movies like that are always a bundle of fun and Campbell's book bring back that nostalgia and then some.Valerian is a very different girl from the naive child we knew in Fearscape. The aftermath of what happened with Gavin has changed her, as has the harassment she's faced. People calling her a terrorist over it is a little over-the-top, but the pain of people saying she lied about what she went through is a perfectly good reason for her change. Throughout the novel, the twisted games Gavin puts her through yet again in his quest to conquer her turn her not into the girl she used to be or keep her who she is now, but turn her into someone new. A girl willing to do what she has to in order to save herself or her friends.A girl who might be able to kill.Gavin's game is more open this round, but it's no less horrible to see people taken in by him, only able to see through it when it's too late. If they escape him? They're beyond lucky. Val's best friend Lisa grated on me in the first book, but getting into her POV this book gave me a new respect for her. Speaking of which, the POV changes around just as much as it did in Fearscape but there's more consistency, depth, and reason to them. There was one instance of it changing mid-paragraph for no reason, but that's greatly improved from book one. Thank goodness!And may I say that I LOVE to see a story where the heroine is sexually attracted to her story's villain but knows that's all there can ever be between them? If there's a guilty pleasure trope out there for me, this is it. Yes yes yes.There's so much to say about this book but so few ways I can say it and sound sensible. The way Gavin twists children's games into something terrible, the three people he plays against Val and her friends, James (well, not really because he's an ass), new character Blake (who I'm kinda-sorta shipping with Val, SHUT UP), the tension as Val and her friends try to make it through the night intact, and beyond... I loved it all. Just as I do with Fearscape, I'm sure I'll be flipping through my favorite sections of this novel in the future.With the way it ended, it's difficult to imagine what will go on in book three, Terrorscape. How does he find out? What "game" will he put her through next? Will she finally triumph or will he win after all? I must know!Sooooooo, how's Terrorscape going, Nenia? ;)