Ashleigh Paige

Fading Amber - Jaime Reed See more of my reviews sooner on The YA Kitten! I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley for review.Aw, it's kind of sad this is over now. There goes one of the few decent YA paranormal romance series I didn't mind reading! This time around, all the fun, affectionate parody elements from the first two books are dumped for buckets full of serious business--and it works.Like always, Samara's voice is spot-on and her constantly developing relationship with the increasingly secretive Lilith is written so strongly that I can't help but make note of it. Caleb's mood swings are a little irritating, though he probably would have been the same way had he not spent most of book two in a coma. The pacing is high-speed-car-chase kind of fast and the plot, while not always engaging in and of itself, really caught me by surprise with its biggest twist. Of all the things that could have happened during Samara's blackout, THAT wasn't what I expected. At all.This time around, logic is also a little more scarce at certain points. Mia and Sam have a big fight and the former forgives the latter as soon as the latter texts her about a major party. Why? An apology or explanation doesn't come until they've been friends again for a while. It seems as if that quick reconciliation only happens to give Tobias someone to threaten when the climactic scene approaches. Still, it's easy to overlook when everything keeps moving.I hope Reed publishes more YA novels in the future because she's got the voice for it. There are a few questions lingering about whether or not Caleb and Samara will be considered too much of a threat to leave alone (especially after what they pulled in front of Ruiz), but it's otherwise a solid ending to a trilogy more people ought to try their luck with.