Ashleigh Paige

Goddess Interrupted - Aimee Carter Thank to Kat Kennedy's beautiful review, I am now aware that my worst nightmares for the book came true and managed to be worse than I ever thought it would be. Everyone judges Persephone as a whore and the entire book is basically a misogynistic piece of shit with a lot of double standards.-sigh- I hate when this happens. Screw age laws. Who wants to buy me some shots at the bar to make me feel better?I would have left this book alone, but this part of the blurb made my blood boil and I had to say something about it:"But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future. Henry's first wife, Persephone."If anyone's a threat Kate's happily-ever-after with Henry, it's Henry himself. He loved Persephone, but she didn't love him. She not-loved him so much that he eventually set her free and that's how The Goddess Test happens. If Henry is still so in love with Persephone that he is unable to fully commit himself to his relationship with Kate, that is his fault, not his goddess ex-wife's. It's unfair to blame her for a problem that is solely his because she can't control how he feels.Persephone's feelings matter just as much as his. He may still love her, but how does she feel about him? If she does not love him or want to be in a relationship with him, then she is no "threat" to Kate and Henry's relationship and it disturbs me that they're trying to turn her into one. It feels like a cheap play for drama that pits girls against one another over a boy. It feels like it's also trying to say that any girls connected to the guy you like are a threat to you and your future with him. Even if she's an ex-wife of his that doesn't love him, never did, and never will.YA PNR is riddled with problematic elements right now such as slut shaming, unhealthy relationship models, and rape culture, just to start off the list. Girl-on-girl hate over a boy is one we don't need to add to the list.I wish I were old enough for a stiff drink.