Ashleigh Paige

Smart Girls Get What They Want - Sarah Strohmeyer Also appears on The Screaming Nitpicker.After I just finished a book about the negative messages hidden in media we tend to think of as mindless entertainment, I'm not sure Smart Girls Get What They Want stood a chance.I'm always endeavoring to be fair and I wanted to love this book. A novel about the smart girls getting everything they want? Oh yeah! My kind of book! But it turned out not to be. The first 130 pages nearly made me quit because our three "smart girls" were more like morons with straight As. Gigi's judgmental ways really got on my nerves and I just didn't care about the other two girls because they weren't given quite as much development as I wished they had been.Throughout the book, I kept picking up a message that really angered me: that it's OMG TERRIBLE to not be well-known in your class and if you're a very smart girl with a small, close circle of friends but you're kind of invisible to everyone in your class, you don't have anything of worth. I never thought this book would go that way and personally offend me by doing so, but it did. I'm certain the author didn't mean to deliver that kind of message, but intent isn't magical like that.So what changed? What made me finish this book and kinda-sorta like it?Character development happened, thank goodness. Gigi stopped being judgmental of her seatmates, who liked to discuss dresses and shoes and jewelry each day in homeroom (which is one of the major things I side-eyed Gigi for; there's nothing wrong with people who like fashion). The skiing scenes where Gigi and Bea joined the ski team and raced were really, really fun to read. I never came to fully like the novel or care about what happened to its characters, but I went from hating it to being indifferent to it, and that was a pretty big step up. I give it that much.The writing grated on me every now and then. The prologue was nothing but babbling info-dump about where their friendship began and Gigi rotated between talking in present tense and talking in past tense. I'd like to see the rampant tense confusions evened out, but Smart Girls Get What They Want is still an easy read. The romances are cute, but nothing I really cared about.The first third is easily one-star material and the rest of the book is worth about three stars, I'll give it two. I wanted to be generous and give it three because it managed to crawl out of a pit I didn't think it could get out of, but messages that personally offend me ruin any chance of me being generous.