Ashleigh Paige

Success Before Sex - Sharnice A. Jones This book, which I picked up as a freebie on Amazon, and I have a lot of fundamental disagreements. I am all for people having sex as long as they are actually educated on what can happen to them with something other than scare tactics; this book wants its readers to wait because if you have sex, you can't achieve your goals. Because it's totally impossible to have sex safely, not become a teenage parent, and achieve your goals while having premarital sex.It also disregards that adults get STDs as well, instead concentrating on teens like they're the only ones that get it and sex is only killing teenagers instead of adults. (Seriously, the book cites something called How Sex is Killing Teenagers.) "Dormant" diseases like HIV/AIDS that can take a while to show symptoms. Adultery. Even if you only have sex after you're married, it's completely possible to get an STD. I'm also not one to say "what about the men?!" because guys get pretty much everything, but it ignores that guys are in just as much danger of contracting STDs. Some things transcend gender. The dangers presented by STDs in one of them. The focus on girls implies that we're the ones bad ones. Uh, no.It mentions how people should be educated, but it does not actually try to educate people on how to have sex safely. It's like my junior high sex ed class, in a way; it uses figures as scare tactics and talks about the consequences instead of telling us about birth control. In the end, both preach for abstinence only, though this book at least has the decency to recognize that people are going to have sex regardless. Still, despite recognizing this, it makes no attempt on what the people who are going to have sex anyway should do.In my experience, abstinence education doesn't work well. Teens tend to see it as a challenge. A friend of mine who went to a private religious school especially saw it this way; she regularly walked in on people who were getting it on in the bathroom. Maybe teens contract so many STDs as the book claims because the education is bad? Just saying.And then the book tops it off with implicit slut shaming in a song/rap/poem thing at the very end. Apparently, people who have sex before marriage are disrespecting God's plan by sleeping with everyone. Nice. Real nice.Kiss my ass.