Ashleigh Paige

Review: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

The Distance Between Us - Kasie West

See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten!

Oh, The Distance Between Us. It got rave reviews across the board from all my friends and yet it disappointed me so thoroughly. There’s no doubt it earned its praise, but to me, it’s just another fluffy contemporary YA novel with nothing to make it stand out. Never before have I forgotten a hundred pages’ worth of development and events less than two minutes after I put it down.

Though it takes place when Caymen is still in school, the California feel and the sweetness of it all makes it scream SUMMER at the top of its nonexistent lungs. Caymen’s penchant for dry humor is exaggerated to the point of annoyance in the beginning, but once that clears up, we have a clear road to an adorable romance between her and Xander that begins with “career days” and comes to fruition just after Caymen and her best friend Skye TP Xander’s house. Caymen gets proven wrong about her deep-seated prejudices (well, for the most part; she was entirely right about one guy) and everything is tied up with a happily-ever-after that’s a mite too neat but otherwise fine.

Sounds great, right? I thought the same while reading it, but all that disappeared once I put it down. Reading large sections of a book at once and then taking a while to get back to it if I have to put it down isn’t uncommon; it happens enough that I decided to call these sorts of incidences bubblegum books (because I when I get bubblegum, I devour all of it as quickly as I can and then don’t get more for months).

The Distance Between Us goes above and beyond as a bubblegum book because while I read a lot in one sitting and then take days to get back to the book, I remembered very little about it when I picked it up again and thought about it while not reading. That is most definitely not normal with bubblegum books and it’s probably due to the cookie-cutter nature of the novel and its meandering plot that takes forever to get anywhere. It’s cute and all, but so are a lot of other contemporary YA novels. There’s absolutely nothing that makes it memorable except for my annoyance at how yet another jacket copy is pretty bold/open about a twist that isn’t revealed until the last twenty pages.

If you’re looking for something to remind you of warm, sweet summers during the cold winter months, pick up The Distance Between Us and you might be in luck–and it’ll still be good for summer, of course. No time like then for a reread! Most of my friends have loved this and I’m a renowned black sheep, so there’s no way I can say not to consider it at the very least. Actually? Screw it. Go pick it up. This is 100% me and unless you’re my long-lost brain twin, you’ll love it.